Thursday, February 5, 2009

Israel is also inspiring youth

This was wiritten few years ago by a young Israeli name Tom, as part of a project about roots, I think she was 9 years old at the time. She gave a permission for this writing to be published.

A Letter to the Land of Israel

To My dear Land of Israel,

I wanted to tell you what an amazing land you are, and that it is so good to live in you, but I almost took it back. You are an amazing land, too amazing, and too many people think so. And that’s what makes life so difficult and complicated, and I know that it’s not your fault, you were just there, and always there was something sacred about, something that caused all religions to want you, to sanctify you, and to fight over you.

And now that I write this letter to you, hoping that you hear, I want to tell you that I love you so very much and that you have given me so much; to me and to 6 million more people, and we all just take and take, and don’t give in return, not even one drop, of what we’ve received from you, and you continue to give, and all your strengths are beginning to dwindle, and the waters are running scarce.

And I think that we need to do more for you, because it’s unfair just to take and not to give back, and from you we have taken almost everything, and we don’t care, for us it seems not to matter. But there are some people that do care, who want to give back, but we haven’t wherefrom to give, all we have came from you and out of desperation, people are killing each other, brothers, saturating you with blood, blood poisoned with hate.

And I want to help you, if possible, my Land of Israel, when I see you, beautiful land, fertile land, land of milk and honey, a land that had everything and it was all taken from her. But the beautiful landscape is still there, and the love of so many people, though some of them do not know how to express it, and they fight over you, like little children, but it’s all from love.

Love, at least this you have plenty of, so many people that love you, and me amongst them, I love every detail in you, the green Galilee and the yellow desert, and the sea and the sky and the life in you.

Everybody says that you are a small country, but that is all relative, and when I look at you from my window, I see spaces and spaces of land, of life and I don’t care if in comparison to other countries you are small; for me you are big, huge, great, a land of unending spaces, of trees and deserts, a land of life.

So I decided to just say thank you, that throughout all my life you have been my amazing land, a land of which I am proud to say I was born in and have grown up in.

So simply thank you, amazing land, a land that no other country of any size in the world can compare with in anything.

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment