Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Being an Israeli

Few years ago after returning from my yearly trip to Israel, I was trying to capture the essence of being Israeli, I am not sure how well, but if you are Israeli, maybe you would give it a try too and send it to me or directly to the blog.. The photo is of the Jorden river.

To be an Israeli (Living abroad)

  • I am an Israeli – I am the Chief of Staff...
  • Taking a walk to Mount Zion and find a stranger who happens to be my relative, I never knew existed...
  • Knowing what is good for anyone better than they know it... Giving and receiving orders as a matter of speech...
  • Veering nonchalantly when a car is driving strait at me on MY lane...
  • Reading every morning the newspaper as a first thing, so I can start my day knowing what is going on around me and to read all the weekend special newspaper editions...
  • Driving with open windows so I can take in the aroma of the soil that has just been moist by the rain...
  • Enjoying the view and the smooth drive on High Way 6, the only toll road in Israel, and to curse those who built it for destroying the land...
  • Expressing myself vehemently, even when no one cares, and to know I am always right, even when I am wrong...
  • What I like most is driving around, above permitted speed limit of cause, watching the changing landscape, the new roads and buildings, new modern cities, the rocky hills and mountains, sucking in the views, smells and sounds of the land, and try detecting what has been changed and where it is heading...
  • Visiting places no Israeli have been to before, even though they live 2 miles away...
  • Trying to impress my Israeli friends with how well I know the land, the streets and what is going on...
  • Complaining about the people who cut the trees I used to climb as a boy in the kibbutz, and no one ever called to ask my permission...
  • Being nostalgic about all the places I have lived in since I was born...
  • Buying an Israeli shampoo to last until the next time I visit Israel...
  • Parking illegally and be happy to pay the fine – it helps the economy...
  • Being glued to the TV for a day or two, to heal my Hebrew deprivation...
  • Hunting for New Hebrew idioms words and expressions and to compare everything to the way it used to be. Pretending I am more Israeli than Israelis, “I will show you how rough I can be...”
  • Feeling an Israeli plus and also not Israeli enough at the same time...
  • Feeling I never left and I will definitely come back in a week or two...
  • Being nostalgic about the songs we grew up with...
  • Getting myself a cellular phone and receive driving instruction in real time...
  • Being above it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment